FROM THE SERVANT GENERAL
October 2, 2017
Memorial of the Guardian Angels
We have been told from our childhood that we have guardian angels who protect us. Jesus says of “these little ones” that “their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father.” (Mt 18:10). The little ones Jesus speaks about are the young children (Mt 18:2) and also grown-ups, disciples who “become like children” (Mt 18:3a).
So God’s children become Jesus’ disciples who then are called to be the Spirit’s warriors. In this process, the guardian angels are always there. Angels are guardians of children, guards of adults, and vanguards of warriors. What a great blessing for holy warriors, as we face a formidable enemy.
What has God tasked the angels to do? Well, they guard us. “For he commands his angels with regard to you, to guard you wherever you go.” (Ps 91:11). Wherever we are, our guardian angels are there. Second, they not only guard us but also guide us. “See, I am sending an angel before you, to guard you on the way and bring you to the place I have prepared.” (Ex 23:20). It is not only providing protection where we are, but bringing us to our destination, which is ultimately heaven. Finally, since along the way we will be engaged in spiritual warfare, they also will do battle for and with us. “My angel will go before you and bring you to the Amorites, Hittites, Perizzites, Canaanites, Hivites and Jebusites; and I will wipe them out.” (Ex 23:23). Victory assured!
Now we have to do our part. We must strive to be holy, to seek God and to trust completely in Him. “You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High, who abide in the shade of the Almighty, say to the Lord, ‘My refuge and fortress, my God in whom I trust.’” (Ps 91:1-2). Second, we must obey God and those He puts in authority over us, like His angels. God says of the angel: “Be attentive to him and obey him. Do not rebel against him, for he will not forgive your sin. My authority is within him.” (Ex 23:21).
If we do these, what can we expect to happen? “If you obey him and carry out all I tell you, I will be an enemy to your enemies and a foe to your foes.” (Ex 23:22). Wow! God Himself on our side, fighting our enemies. Specifically, what will God do for us?
- God protects us. “He will shelter you with his pinions, and under his wings you may take refuge; his faithfulness is a protecting shield.” (Ps 91:4).
- God rescues us and preserves us. “He will rescue you from the fowler’s snare, from the destroying plague” (Ps 91:3).
- God keeps us among the last men standing. “Though a thousand fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, near you it shall not come.” (Ps 91:7).
- God lets only good things come our way. “No evil shall befall you, no affliction come near your tent.” (Ps 91:10). There will of course be afflictions, suffering and pain, but these all work for our good.
If God is for us, who can be against us?!
- We need never fear. “You shall not fear the terror of the night nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that roams in darkness, nor the plague that ravages at noon.” (Ps 91:5-6). Despite all odds and all obstacles, we simply move forward.
- We will witness the victory of our God. “You need simply watch; the punishment of the wicked you will see.” (Ps 91:8).
All the above, “because you have the Lord for your refuge and have made the Most High your stronghold” (Ps 91:9). Our guardian angels, just like we, do what God commands us to do. We obey God, we obey our guardian angels, then we are set to be effective and victorious holy warriors.
* * *