FROM THE SERVANT GENERAL
OUR THEME FOR 2018
LOOKING TO THE GREATNESS OF GOD – 2
December 13, 2017
Today’s reading: Isaiah 40:25-31
Our greatness stems from the greatness of our God.
- We are made in the image and likeness of God.
- We are God’s children.
- We are brothers and servants of Jesus our Lord and Master.
- We are sent to do God’s divine work, to be His light to the world.
- We are empowered by God’s Spirit.
- We are called to holiness and perfection, just like God.
- We are destined for eternal life with God in heaven.
How great is our God?
- There is none like Him. “To whom can you liken me as an equal? says the Holy One.” (v.25).
- He is the awesome Creator of the whole universe. “Lift up your eyes on high and see who created these: He leads out their army and numbers them, calling them all by name.” (v.26a).
- He sustains the whole universe, which is mindboggling in its immensity and complexity, but which is in perfect harmony. There may be 10 trillion galaxies in the universe, with each one, like our Milky Way, possibly having 100 billion stars, and even now this universe continues to expand. “By his great might and the strength of his power not one of them is missing!” (v.26b).
- He is all-powerful and all-wise. “He does not faint or grow weary, and his knowledge is beyond scrutiny.” (v.28b).
Now here is the awesome truth: God has destined us for greatness. The Almighty God takes weak human beings and enables them by His grace and power to become like Him and to do His divine work. “He gives power to the faint, abundant strength to the weak.” (v.29). We just have to put our faith in Him, trust Him with all of our being, and allow Him to form and mold us according to His will. “They that hope in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar on eagles’ wings.” (v.31a).
We must know and keep reminding ourselves of our destiny, to be great in Christ. This will help us to endure and persevere. “They will run and not grow weary, walk and not grow faint.” (v.31b). Then we will be able to accomplish God’s will for our lives, and become powerful instruments for His work in our world.
* * *