FROM THE SERVANT GENERAL
OUR THEME FOR 2013
BELIEVE AND BE BLESSED
December 21, 2012
Elizabeth told Mary, “Blessed are you who believed that what was spoken to you by the Lord would be fulfilled.” (Lk 1:45). Because Mary believed, not only was she blessed, but we through the generations have been blessed as well. Through her our Savior has come.
How about us in CFC-FFL? Do we believe what has been spoken to us by the Lord?
* That He raised us to be an evangelistic and missionary community?
* That He has made us the keepers of the authentic CFC charism?
* That we are to renew the family and to defend life?
* That He has brought us to Lamentations and to Job in order to purify us and prepare us for greater things that are to come?
* That He brings us deeper into the heart of the Church in total self-giving?
* That if we BE.LI.EV.E then we will do greater works for His glory?
We believe because we know who our God is.
* He is the all-powerful Creator. “By the Lord’s word the heavens were made” (Ps 33:6a).
* He is King of kings and has dominion over the whole world. “The Lord foils the plan of nations, frustrates the designs of peoples.” (Ps 33:10).
* He knows each one of us and knows what goes on in our lives. “From heaven the Lord looks down and observes the children of Adam, from his dwelling place he surveys all who dwell on earth.” (Ps 33:13-14).
* He who designed us in His image and likeness knows who we are and what we do. “The One who fashioned together their hearts is the One who knows all their works.” (Ps 33:15).
* He watches and cares for us. “Behold, the eye of the Lord is upon those who fear him, upon those who count on his mercy.” (Ps 33:18).
* He provides for our earthly and spiritual needs. “To deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive through famine.” (Ps 33:19).
Since the restoration, God has been confirming and affirming His call to us. He has spoken to us through our themes for the years. He has guided us. Now, with this psalm, as we enter into a new year, God again confirms everything He has done for us.
* Theme for 2007: hope (in the context of Lamentations). “May your mercy, Lord, be upon us; as we put our hope in you.” (Ps 33:22).
* Theme for 2008: joy. “For in him our hearts rejoice” (Ps 33:21a).
* Theme for 2009: trust. “in his holy name we trust.” (Ps 33:21b). We also had the Divine Mercy. “The earth is full of the mercy of the Lord. May your mercy, Lord, be upon us” (Ps 33:5b,22a).
* Theme for 2010: the Almighty, just and righteous. “He loves justice and right.” (Ps 33:5a).
* Theme for 2011: strength in God. “A king is not saved by a great army, nor a warrior delivered by great strength. Useless is the horse for safety; despite its great strength, it cannot be saved. Behold, the eye of the Lord is upon those who fear him” (Ps 33:16-18a). “Our soul waits for the Lord, he is our help and shield.” (Ps 33:20).
This year 2012 our theme is “Choose Life.” Mary chose life. We rose to defend the culture of life. Against the culture of death that assaulted the unborn in the womb, we affirmed with Elizabeth: “Most blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb.” (Lk 1:42). With our staunch pro-life advocacy, the most defenseless of persons would be given a voice. Would that the unborn would have the same reaction as John the Baptist: “the infant in my womb leaped for joy.” (Lk 1:44b).
This year we proclaimed ourselves to be “Alive in Christ.” Jesus lives in us, in our homes, in our community. This means a certain kind of lifestyle.
* We worship. “Praise from the upright is fitting. … on the ten-stringed lyre offer praise.” (Ps 33:1b,2b).
* We come before Him with awe, with reverential fear. “Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all who dwell in the world show him reverence.” (Ps 33:8).
* We rejoice always, in all circumstances, including situations of Lamentations and Job. “Rejoice, you righteous, in the Lord” (Ps 33:1a).
* We give constant thanks, for all the good God does for us. “Give thanks to the Lord on the harp” (Ps 33:2a).
* We evangelize with a passion, and strive to bring our nations under the lordship of Jesus. “Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people chosen as his inheritance.” (Ps 33:12).
Now we face the new year 2013. God has again given us our theme. We are to BE.LI.EV.E! “For the Lord’s word is upright; all his works are trustworthy.” (Ps 33:4). We are to believe that faith works wonders, as Jesus himself assures (Jn 14:12). “For he spoke, and it came to be, commanded, and it stood in place.” (Ps 33:9).
“Blessed are you who believed that what was spoken to you by the Lord would be fulfilled.” (Lk 1:45). Greater things are yet to come!
* * *