FROM THE SERVANT GENERAL
OUR THEME FOR 2013
February 6, 2013
Today’s gospel: Mark 6:1-6
Jesus worked wonders. Many said of him, “What mighty deeds are wrought by his hands!” (Mk 6:2e). Amazingly, the wonders Jesus worked were dependent upon the faith of people. In Nazareth, because of “their lack of faith,” Jesus “was not able to perform any mighty deed there” (Mk 6:6,5a). Faith works wonders. Lack of faith prevents the working of wonders.
People “who heard him were astonished” (Mk 6:2b) at his wisdom and mighty deeds. On the other hand, Jesus “was amazed at their lack of faith.” (Mk 6:6). There is something not quite right with such a situation. When we come into contact with Jesus’ wisdom and mighty deeds, then that should naturally lead us to greater faith in him. The more we know of him and the more we experience his mighty work in our lives, our faith should grow even more. Such was not the case with the townspeople of Nazareth. After everything was said and done, “they took offense at him.” (Mk 6:3c).
What caused this dysfunctional response? For us who have accepted Jesus as Savior and Lord, this is hard to understand. But Jesus had already been dishonored by his own relatives (Mk 3:21). Now the larger community was taking offense at him. Later he would be rejected by the Jewish nation.
Christians today might fall into the same dysfunction.
* There are people, including clerics, who do not consider Jesus as God.
* There are those who do not look to Jesus for their own salvation, preferring to look to esoteric eastern religions or New Age practices.
* There are those who acknowledge Jesus, but do not live out or even reject his wisdom for their lives.
* There are those who do not appreciate that Jesus is truly their brother, who walks with them and is intimately involved in their day-to-day lives.
* There are the so-called Christian nations of the West that have rejected him and are trying to eradicate him from society.
* There are those who are dominated by fear, even as the Prince of Peace has already entered into their lives.
* Then there are those who believe in him but still lack the faith that works wonders.
Do we have the faith that can work wonders?
* * *