FROM THE SERVANT GENERAL
THE CULTURE OF LIFE
SAME-SEX MARRIAGE – 2
June 28, 2015
Today’s reading: Wisdom 1:13-2:24
To begin to understand what is happening in the world, especially with regard to sins of human sexuality, in particular the acceptance of same-sex marriage, we need to turn to God’s wisdom. Why is it that radical homosexuals cannot see that their homosexual acts are unnatural? One just needs to look at how a man and a woman are physically made, and see the natural complementarity, and thus the inherent disorder in a homosexual union. Why is it that radical homosexuals always accuse believing Christians of being intolerant, when they (the homosexuals) are the most intolerant of those who oppose their beliefs?
First, they are blinded and so cannot see the truth. “Those were their thoughts, but they erred; for their wickedness blinded them.” (v.2:21). The evil one has lied to them. They have been led to wickedness and refuse to accept their sin. And sin has clouded their judgment, and indulgence in such grave sin has blunted their consciences.
Second, this is about the whole advance of liberalism, secular humanism and modernism. It is putting the individual at the center. Whatever the individual wants and finds pleasure in is to be. As such, moral restraints have been discarded. “Come, therefore, let us enjoy the good things that are here …. Let no meadow be free from our wantonness” (v.2:6a,9a). The motto is: if it feels good, just do it.
Third, due to the work of the evil one and people embracing sinful lifestyles, the focus has become on the here and now, on what is pleasurable for the moment. God is out of the picture, and there is no longer any spiritual purpose in life, and birth and life are just incidents and not from God. “For by mere chance were we born, and hereafter we shall be as though we had not been” (v.2:2a). Ultimately this results in rejecting an afterlife and any plan of God for our lives. “So our life will pass away like the traces of a cloud, and will be dispersed like a mist” (v.2:4b). The Christian teaching about hell, damnation and final judgment are no longer accepted. “For, not thinking rightly, they said among themselves: ‘Brief and troubled is our lifetime; there is no remedy for our dying, nor is anyone known to have come back from Hades.” (v.2:1). Thus there is no meaning to life except what is here and now, and what is pleasurable. “For our lifetime is the passing of a shadow; and our dying cannot be deferred” (v.2:5a).
Fourth, because they are blinded, radical homosexuals are intolerant of those who speak against their disordered lifestyle, and they respond with rage whenever told of their sin. Why so?
- because the truth confronts them with their sin. “To us he is the censure of our thoughts” (v.2:14a).
- because they think we are homophobes who hate them. “He judges us debased” (v.2:16a). They cannot accept the distinction that we hate the sin but love the sinner.
- because, with many of them being either former Christians or still claiming to be Christians, they do not want to be confronted with the authentic teaching of Christ and the Bible. He “reproaches us for transgressions of the law and charges us with violations of our training.” (v.2:12b).
- because, engaging in diabolical acts and lifestyle, they cannot stand Christians who stand for the truth of God’s word, and who pursue righteousness. “He professes to have knowledge of God and styles himself a child of the Lord.” (v.2:13).
- because, engaging in unrighteousness, they cannot accept the call to righteous living and the return to the embrace of the Father. “He calls blest the destiny of the righteous and boasts that God is his Father.” (v.2:16b). They have accepted darkness and are troubled by the light.
- because “they did not know the hidden counsels of God” (v.2:22a). In their depravity they have rejected God and God’s wisdom for living.
Thus, radical homosexuals cannot tolerate true Christians who speak out and act on their convictions. As such they respond with rage. “Let us lie in wait for the righteous one, because he is annoying to us; he opposes our actions” (v.2:12a). So we see physical assaults as well as verbal assaults. We see court suits. We see the forcible shutting down of Christian businesses. We anticipate an all-out assault against religious freedom. Persecution of Christians is at hand. “With violence and torture let us put him to the test” (v.2:19a).
Radical homosexuals are totalitarians. They will stop at nothing until Christians are forced to accept their sinful situation. There can come a time when, if they do not get their way, if persecution does not get them their way, they will even kill those who oppose them. “Let us condemn him to a shameful death” (v.2:20a).
Active homosexuals have embraced the culture of death. “It was the wicked who with hands and words invited death, considered it a friend, and pined for it, and made a covenant with it” (v.1:16a). We must continue to pray for them, to evangelize them, to help bring them out of darkness into the Lord’s marvelous light.
* * *