The Call of “Come to Me”
Country Servants meeting, June 27 2011
Recollection by the Servant General
God calls. This is very special. It is a great privilege.
3 well-known calls:
1) Isaiah. Is 6:1-7,8a,9a.
2) Jeremiah. Jer 1:4-10.
3) Mary. Lk 1:26-38.
All 3 were dramatic, awesome.
For us, this is not the case. But still, it is God who calls.
Even though we are unworthy.
Unclean (Isaiah); young, not know how to speak (Jeremiah); low-born (Mary).
This is the mystery of God’s choice. In fact, God favors the lowly. 1 Cor 1:26-29.
What then happens depends on our response.
Essential dimensions of Jesus’ call to come:
1) 2 disciples of John the Baptist. Jn 1:35-39. Call to stay with Jesus.
2) Crowd doing ritual of taking water from Siloam. Jn 7:37-39a. Call to drink of Spirit.
3) Disciples at Last Supper. Jn 15:4-11. Call to remain in Jesus’ love.
Specific assurances of Jesus’ call:
1) Jn 1:39. Come and see. Jesus will reveal himself.
2) Peter on the water. Mt 14:29. Faith and empowerment.
3) Mt 11:28. Rest and assurance of being co-yoked with Jesus.
4) Mt 22:4b. Feast. Bountiful blessings, then eternity in heaven.
5) Mt 25:21. At the end, share the Master’s joy.
Essential dimensions are connected with our Core Values.
|Core Value||Expressed by||Essential dimension|
|Centered on Christ||Daily prayer, God’s word||Stay with Jesus|
|”||Eucharist and confession||Drink of the Spirit|
|”||Marriage based on loveof Christ for Church||Remain in God’s love|
|Focused on the family||Jesus lives in the home||Stay with Jesus|
|”||Unity and love and service.Communication. Forgiveness.||Drink of the Spirit|
|”||Home built onChristian principles||Remain in God’s love|
|Being Community||Households||Stay with Jesus|
|”||Life and service||Drink of the Spirit|
|”||Formation. Unity.||Remain in God’s love|
* * *