FROM THE SERVANT GENERAL
THE CULTURE OF LIFE
REJECTING ISMS AND IDOLS
February 21, 2013
Today’s reading: Esther C:12-25
We are God’s people, and God is committed to give us a fulfilled life in Him, a future filled with hope. However, we need to be faithful to our covenant. Otherwise, we cut ourselves off from God, and suffer the consequences. Like the Jews in Esther’s time, she acknowledged, “now we have sinned in your sight, and you have delivered us into the hands of our enemies” (Est C:17).
What was their great sin? They already had the one true God, but they “worshiped their gods” (Est C:18a), the pagan gods of the peoples around them. This is what is happening in the world today. One-third of the world is Christian, but many if not most of them worship other gods–the gods of materialism, consumerism, secularism, humanism, modernism, hedonism. All these isms are of course according to the design of the ultimate pagan god, Satan. And the ultimate sacrifice to Satan today is the unborn child, aborted in the wombs of their mothers.
But Satan does not stop at abortion. His intent is to destroy faith, family and life. So his global forces continue with the onslaught against the culture of life and against the kingdom of God. It is not enough that people are enslaved by the deadly isms. “But now they are not satisfied with our bitter servitude, but have sworn an oath to their idols” (Est C:19). They have sworn an oath to their idols! They are committed in their diabolical agenda. They will pour everything into the fray. To do what?
* “to do away with the decree you have pronounced” (Est C:20a). They intend to do away with everything that is of God, every good thing that comes from God, such as faith, family and life; they intend for Christians to no longer follow the commandments of God.
* “to destroy your inheritance” (Est C:20b). They intend to deprive God’s people of their salvation and eternal life in heaven with the Father.
* “to close the mouths of those who praise you” (Est C:20c). They intend to clamp down on religious freedom and conscientious objection, passing such laws on “hate speech” and homeschooling, and forcing Christians to violate their consciences and beliefs.
* “to extinguish the glory of your house and your altar” (Est C:20d). They intend to weaken and even destroy the Church, continually harping on the shortcomings of her children, and desire to see less and less Christians participating in celebrations at the altar.
* “to open the mouths of the nations to acclaim their worthless gods” (Est C:21a). They have a global agenda, aggressively pushed by western nations bringing to bear their economic, political and military power, to accept their cultural deviancy, and for peoples to also worship the gods of sex, abortion and homosexuality.
* “to extol a mortal king forever.” (Est C:21b). They look to the end of time when the Antichrist will come, but for now supported by antichrists like Obama taking secular power over the most powerful nation on earth.
We face a bleak and dismal future. But on the other hand, God is always and still is there. So we do as Esther did. “Queen Esther, seized with mortal anguish, fled to the Lord for refuge.” (Est C:12). We must never forget that He is “King of gods and Ruler of every power.” (Est C:23c). So in our desperation, we turn to Him. “Be mindful of us, Lord.” (Est C:23a). “Save us by your power” (Est C:25a).
Especially this Lent, let us repent of how we have embraced worldly isms and pagan idols. Let us “put on garments of distress and mourning …. and (cover our) head with dung and ashes” (Est C:13a).
Like Queen Esther, let us pray: “Save us by your power, and help me, who am alone and have no one but you, Lord.” (Est C:25). Amen.
* * *